Author: Joanne Loberg, Career Consultant and Certified Executive Coach – JL Careers
Whether new in your career, or a seasoned professional, building a successful career involves navigating uncharted waters. The WWEST (Westcoast Women in Engineering, Science & Technology) Creating Connections Conference brought together leading female Executives who have piloted through corporate culture, broke the glass ceiling, and successfully managed both family and career. They provided their insights, suggestions and words of advice.
The following are just a few of the cornerstones of career success recommended by these inspiring Executives:
- Build relationships. Seek out relationships with your peers and your leaders. Your goal is to understand their needs and concerns. Then, talk about how your skills and experience can contribute to solving their problems.
- Get connected and never stop networking. Whether at social events, charities, or on the job – network, network, network. Look for potential connections, opportunities to collaborate on projects, share knowledge, and gather new insights.
- Be passionate, skilled and ready for opportunity. And, when it presents itself, take it!
- Accept you will make mistakes, but jump in anyways.
- Think performance and exceed expectations.
- Get a mentor – connect with leaders who can help you navigate organizational challenges and build your leadership competencies.
The common message throughout the conference was to be passionate about what you do, believe in yourself even if you have moments of doubt, and strategically network and connect to build your career success.
Given the immense success of this year’s conference I can’t wait to be inspired again at the 2014 WWEST Conference.
Wishing you much career success,
Joanne – JL Careers