Industry-changing leaders don’t back away from making critical career decisions that pivot their career success, contribute to noteworthy results and drive key achievements. What are these 5 Pivotal Questions these leaders aren’t afraid to examine? Julia Tang Peters, leadership consultant and coach, was interviewed by Forbes after the release of her book: Pivot Points: Five Decisions Every Successful Leader Must Make.
Peters interviewed successful industry-changing leaders with impressive track records and found some commonalities. These leaders were not afraid to change their career stories and redirect their efforts in order to get more of what they wanted in their careers and as a result, achieved outstanding career success.
Peters’ 5 Pivotal Career Questions, as captured in her interview with Forbes, are:
- The launching decision: “What do I want to be great at that is worth the commitment of massive amounts of my time and energy?”
- The turning point decision: “What problem do you want to solve or condition do you want to improve that gives you the verve to pass this test?”
- The tipping point decision: “What fundamental barrier stands between me and a tipping point, which I want to break through to get to the next level?”
- The re-commitment decision: “What’s next? Do I keep at this, and if so, what do I want to accomplish? If not, how do I need to recommit to myself?”
- The letting go decision: “How do I both leave a legacy and personally move on?”
These leaders weren’t afraid to recreate themselves in order to gain more of what they want in their careers. They voyaged off the beaten path and made tough decisions due to their drive to continually be inspired by the work they do, desire to do their best, and commitment to being in charge of their careers. As a result, they lead interesting and inspiring careers.
These 5 pivotal questions can inspire you too to be bold, reach beyond and create a more rewarding and enriching career for yourself.
Author: Joanne Loberg of JL Careers Inc. is a Certified Executive Coach and Internationally Certified Career Management Professional. She specializes in coaching professional and executive clients, and providing career advancement strategies. Copyright JL Careers Inc. All rights reserved.
Wishing you much career success!