Great interviews are tactical maneuvers which demand you have done your homework, devised your interview strategy and practiced for perfection. Healthcare CEO Marc Harrison, a leading influencer on LinkedIn, shares valuable insights in his 5 Tips for a Standout Interview. His key points are:
- Demonstrate your professionalism by being a brand ambassador for your former employer. This will reflect well on you as it demonstrates you will be a great spokesperson for the interviewer’s organization as well.
- Respond to the interviewer’s questions directly. Sounds simple but many candidates are evasive, long winded, or too detailed.
- Be personable and real. There is a formula for acing the interview: Fit + Passion + Ability. Read more about ‘’fit” in our blog: Going on interviews but not landing offers? Or dreading the thought of being interviewed? Hiring managers are looking for someone who shows up engaged, passionate about their organization and ready to jump in and contribute.
- Really demonstrate you want to be part of their organization. You aren’t just looking for another job, but you want to work for them. Be able to express why you are drawn to them in terms of their mission and values.
- Ask great questions, including questions that allow you to understand the challenges impacting the role, the goals and benchmarks of success. I also recommend exploring what’s keeping that manager awake at night when they think about that division and the role.
Creating a truly memorable interview does take work, but the reward is you will stand out from your competition and differentiate yourself as a lead candidate.
Wishing you much career success!
Certified Executive Career Coach & Internationally Certified Career Management Professional