Looking to expand your network and do it with confidence? Whether attending a Halloween gathering or any networking event, here are 9 tips for building networking success (adapted from Forbes How To Work A Room Like You Own The Place):
1. Go with a goal in mind – Know why you are attending and set goals for your networking activities.
2. Request introductions – Ask the event host for introductions to the people you want to get to know.
3. Go it alone – Don’t hang out with the people you know. Branch out and sit next to someone you don’t know, or introduce yourself to someone new.
4. Be observant – If groups are heavily involved in a conversation, it’s the wrong time to interrupt.
5. Be aware of your body language – Are you projecting that you are approachable and friendly?
6. Consider your handshake – What is it saying about you? Be sure to use a confident, full hand when introducing yourself.
7. Ask open ended questions that start with: Who, what, when, where and how. Avoid closed ended questions. Questions that create a “yes” or ‘’no’’ response, kill conversations.
8. Offer your business card – But only if you have established a reason to stay in touch.
9. And lastly, focus on how you can help others first – You will find people are then more receptive to returning the favour.
Wishing you much networking success!
PS: Happy Halloween! Hope you have a “spook”tacular and very fun Halloween!
Certified Executive Coach & Internationally Certified Career Management Professional