Brent (not his real name) found himself pounding the pavement after 18 years of dedicated service with a large financial institution. He had worked hard, met his targets, yet found himself on the street. Confused and frustrated; he couldn’t make sense of what happened.
What happened was Brent got a bit too comfortable in his job. In short, he had put his career in neutral. He wasn’t excited about his job any longer; it had become a bit dull and routine, and it no longer was his passion. But a good pay cheque, solid benefits, and a sizeable pension, kept him in place. Further, as he was a solid performer, had been there for years, and no one else could do his job, he was safe from rumours of corporate downsizing. The organization needed him – or so he thought.
But as a preventive measure, in the last month he thought he should step up his game. He told his boss he was interested in a new role that was recently posted in his division. As senior guy, with loads of experience and talent, he thought he was a shoe in. So when called into a meeting with his boss and HR, for what he thought was a meeting to appoint him to this new role, he was shocked when it was the exact opposite: “We appreciate your years of service, but a difficult decision has been made. As of today, your employment with our company is terminated.”
Brent’s anger was first directed at the company, and then inwards as he realized he had been sitting on his laurels while the young guns were running away with the show. He hadn’t been proactive in stepping up, asking for new projects, showcasing his talents, or going above and beyond.
As a Career Coach, I have coached hundreds of Brents, and have created some suggestions to help you weatherproof your career.
9 TACTICS FOR WEATHERPROOFING YOUR CAREER:
- Be a rock star at work – re-energize your career and start 2014 with a focus on over delivering on results.
- Connect with a mentor – get their advice on what you need to do to step up your game and stay relevant in your sector.
- Ask for more challenging projects and assignments – these assignments help you chisel your skills and expand your reach within your organization.
- Be a change champion – be a positive force, supporting and adapting to organizational shifts and changes.
- Go back to school – if you haven’t recently attended a conference, training seminar or other professional development, get back in the loop.
- Connect with professional colleagues – keep your networks alive, both internal to your organization and beyond.
- Update your resume with your key accomplishments from 2013.
- Polish your LinkedIn profile – LinkedIn recommends you source 5 recommendations to increase your marketability to potential recruiters.
- Develop relationships with headhunters in your industry. It’s always good to have a back-up plan.
Wishing you a great year ahead and much career success!
Author: Joanne Loberg of JL Careers Inc. is a Certified Executive Coach and Internationally Certified Career Management Professional. She specializes in coaching professional and executive clients, and providing career advancement strategies. Copyright JL Careers Inc. All rights reserved.
Coaching to Accelerate your Results: Accelerate your Performance and Enhance your Success
Joanne Loberg, Certified Executive Coach and Internationally Certified Career Management Professional, is highly skilled and committed to supporting executives and emerging leaders to envision, strategize and accelerate their career success.
Coaching focuses on strategies for excelling in organizations and overcoming road blocks to success. Joanne asks challenging questions that provide insight and clarity. Once your goals are articulated, Joanne coaches you to develop and implement strategies that deliver results.
Contact Joanne for a complimentary 20-minute telephone Career Consultation to strategize solutions to help you get more of what you want in your career.
Looking for insightful, tailored career coaching or retirement planning? Contact us today to learn how you can fast-track your career and create a life you’ll love.
Wishing you much career success!
Certified Executive Coach & Internationally Certified Career Management Professional
JL Careers Inc