One of the hardest challenges that you may face as an executive may not be in the boardroom, but instead on the ‘other side’ of the table in the interview room, as you go for your next big role. You need to impress your interviewer that you have the skills and ability to drive the organization forward, deliver results, as well as fit into their corporate culture.
I’ve compiled a list of top Executive Interview Questions to help you put your best foot forward in your next interview:
- Tell me about yourself. (Or similarly) Walk me through your resume.
- Tell me about an initiative that you conceived and were responsible for executing. What challenges did you expect and what challenges did you actually encounter? How did you overcome them?
- Tell me how you have created a shared purpose among people who initially differed in opinions or objectives.
- Tell me about the results you have achieved at your last two positions. How did you achieve them? What was the effect to the business?
- Give me an example of how you understand our business. Where do you think the growth areas are? Where do you think we can do better with customer experience?
- When was the last time you took a risk? What did you learn from it?
- Give me an example of when you pushed back, made some noise, offered constructive dissent.
- Tell me about a time in which you brought productive change to a company. How did you implement this change?
- In your previous roles, explain how you’ve embedded the company’s goals and vision into your employees.
- What constructive criticism have you received in the past that surprised you the most?
Tips to Ensure Interview Success
When coaching my executive clients, I focus on ensuring every interview answer is tailored to the targeted role and the needs of the organization. It is critical that you avoid the costly mistake of speaking in generalities. Instead, provide specific examples which highlight skills and experience relevant to the role.
As you prepare for your next interview, dig into your resume to identify your key accomplishments and successes related to the role you are interviewing for. Then, craft your interview answers to demonstrate you have a track record of success addressing the issues and problems related to the hiring manager’s needs.
For more interview questions and scenarios, check out Korn Ferry – the world’s largest executive search firm – article: Distinguishing Yourself as a True Leader During Behavioral Competency Interviews
Need More Interview Tips?
- Why Great Candidates Fail at Job Interviews
- Landing Interviews but not Job Offers? Conduct an Interview Audit
- Ace the Interview Tip: What’s your body language saying about you?
- Powerful Questions to Ask during your Job Interview
- Got a Skype Interview coming up?
Author: Joanne Loberg of JL Careers Inc. is a Certified Executive Coach and Internationally Certified Career Management Professional. She specializes in coaching professional and executive clients, and providing career advancement strategies. Copyright JL Careers Inc. All rights reserved.
Not landing interviews or getting job offers? Needing job search tactics and tools to get you noticed within your organization and beyond? Contact Joanne – she can help you get the results you want.
Career Coaching Services include:
- Complimentary Resume and Cover Letter Critiques to ensure you are putting your best foot forward
- Interview Audits to determine why you’re not landing offers
- Job Search Tools including Professional Resumes, targeted Cover Letters, compelling LinkedIn Profiles, Interview Strategies and Practice, and Job Search Tactics
- Career Advancement Strategies to move you from point A to point B in the shortest time possible.
Joanne Loberg, Certified Executive Coach & Internationally Certified Career Management Professional, provides complimentary 20-minute telephone Career Consultations to strategize solutions to help you get you more of what you want in your career.
Wishing you much career success!
Looking for insightful, tailored career coaching or retirement planning? Contact us today to learn how you can fast-track your career and create a life you’ll love.
Wishing you much career success!
Joanne Loberg Certified Executive Coach & Internationally Certified Career Management Professional
JL Careers Inc